Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,269
Like?
d800 raw file sizes!
2 months ago

I was just noticing that my raw files in lossless compressed 14-bit on a trip we took to the coast for three days ran anywhere from 41mb to 70mb with most in the 60 to 70mb sizes.  This is a heck of a lot larger than Nikon's manual which states that file size averages 41.3mb files.  Of course they have a disclaimer stating that some image may be larger due to the complexity of the image ugh!!!

I was wondering why in batch editing that it was taking it seems like a long time to process them?  It seems to me that Nikon's average file size estimate is very low or conservative!!!  I may have to reconsider what subjects I am shooting and go with a lower file format as an example project images.  Do most people shoot in raw lossless compressed 14 bit for everything or do they change the file format often depending on what they do with the images and what purpose the images will be used for?

Larry

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow