Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richj20
Senior MemberPosts: 2,169
Like?
FZ1000 - Sensor Size and DOF
5 months ago

I'm impressed with the higher ISO examples of the FZ1000, which would be a nice improvement over the FZ200.

Now, I use my m4/3 system when planning to photograph indoors, but often when I have the FZ200 only (it's my carry-around camera), opportunities come up where higher ISO is necessary. Most of the time, even after a lot of editing on the computer with the RAW file, the FZ200 result is just not satisfactory. So, the FZ1000 is appealing.

But...I'm concerned that with the new 1" sensor, I'll be losing the DOF capability of the smaller FZ200 sensor. Here is a comparison:

Sensor Size Comparison

In typical flora-scapes I photograph, a lot of DOF is required, and I usually use f/4 - f/5.6 on the FZ200:

Penstemon

Dry Creek

With my m4/3 system, I would typically use f/11 - f/13. With a range down to f/22, f/11 is nothing. But the FZ1000's range is f/2.8-4 to f/8, so I'm not sure how things will work out.

Backing up and then cropping is not always feasible, as in the Creek photograph, where I'm perched on a large rock overlooking the Creek.

A similar DOF concern will be with closeup and macro. I like a lot of DOF, and a smaller sensor camera is wonderful for this.

Has anyone thought about this, and possible solutions?

I'm planning to give the FZ1000 a try, though, because there are other features that are quite enticing!

- Richard

-- hide signature --

"Careful photographers run their own tests." - Fred Picker

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow