Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stephen Carpenter
Contributing MemberPosts: 604Gear list
Like?
Le Mans
1 month ago

It all started off with my wife saying I could go to Le Mans if I wanted. After initially saying no (in case it was one of _those_ trick questions) I decided to go and my thoughts turned to the gear I would take.

I have a A850 which still produces fantastic results but it's hopeless on moving subjects. So a new body was a must. I wasn't sure if the A77-MKII would be available in time so I picked up one of the last A77 bodies available locally for a good price.

I also had a 70-400G which had seen little use, partly because I'm a city dweller these days and the results were not quite satisfying on the A850 (it needed variable amounts of focus adjust depending on focal length and focus distance).

Initially the slide show effect and EVF lag bothered me but by the second day I had become used to it. Using the 8fps mode for AF-C I took 4000 shots, 3000 of which were keepers. That's quite a success rate considering most of the duds were heads/posts in the way or half cars during panning.

I would still say that the A850 produces more pleasing images but the A77 did a good job. The AF tracking was excellent and the it works much better with the 70-400G.

When I first went to Le Mans in the early 90's there were no safety fences which made taking photos easy. Now there are tall fences around the entire circuit so there are only a few places where you can get an unobstructed view and they are not in the best positions.

Here are a few examples and there are plenty more in my gallery.

Stephen Carpenter's gear list:Stephen Carpenter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +5 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow