Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RGiskard
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
DOF of the RX100 m3 vs. u4/3?
3 months ago

I'm considering the m3 as a pocket companion to my Olympus u4/3 body, and am trying to compare several factors. I'm hoping you kind folks can help me understand the relative shallow DOF capabilities of the two systems.  According to DPR's chart the m3 has an equivalent aperture at the 50mm FOV (in 35mm terms) of nearly f/8.  My Olympus 25mm f1.8 lens has a 35mm equiv. FOV 50mm and the DOF of a FF lens at f3.6.

If I'm understanding this correctly, the fact that the m3 operates at 2.8 at 50mm equiv., combined with its smaller sensor, means that its DOF is 2 and 1/3 stops deeper on the m3.  That's a pretty big difference, it seems.

Before I factored this into my decision, I wanted to see if anyone thinks I am wrong on the numbers.  Thanks for any feedback!

RGiskard's gear list:RGiskard's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow