In reply to knickerhawk, 3 months ago

knickerhawk wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

knickerhawk wrote:

DXO 6D: 45.32

DXO Oly: 43.22

LR 6D: 40.55

LR Oly: 42.93

Lower Std. Dev. in LR for both cameras and the differences between DXO and LR is GREATER for the 6D than it is for the Oly. Hmmmmm...

It should be, the crops are not normalized to the same area. To normalize, you need to shrink the 6D ones about 14.5%. Then they will look smaller (because dpreview frames for the same height, not the same diagonal). I will leave the calculations for you, and you may very well discover that the 6D wins.

The fact that you think I need to normalize the results shows that you're missing the point. You claimed that Adobe is applying (greater) NR to the Oly but not the 6D. If that were the case you would expect to see a larger difference in std. dev. between the two Oly samples than you get for the two 6D samples. The opposite is the case.

St.Dev. is a measure of how the luminance values are distributed with disregard of their location. The nature of the noise (the "pattern") is a property of the spatial distribution, which is a completely different property. I was talking exactly about that.

Does the crop on the lower right look NR'd to you or no? If it does, this is an indirect confirmation that the St.Dev. is not a good metric of what you see.

Did you follow the discussion so far? This is the noisiest color for the 6D.

Yes, I've followed with considerable interest the "evolution" of your argument in this thread. I'll be interested to see where it evolves to next.

You'd better go to the past, to part I, if you are really interested.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow