Nifty Fifty Voigtlander 58mm vs Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ProstheticEmpathy
Forum MemberPosts: 50Gear list
Like?
Re: Nifty Fifty Voigtlander 58mm vs Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
In reply to Jzpunltd, 6 months ago

I have the Voigtlander and Nikon 50mm 1.8G but I don't have the Sigma Art, so I can't make a direct comparison between those. Compared to the 50mm 1.8G the Voigtlander has a more pleasant rendering and character, much superior bokeh and its images look less clinical. However, I would not say that it is much sharper than the 1.8G. Wide open it has fairly good resolution, but the contrast is quite low and it has some veiling haze evident across the frame. I shot both lenses side by side quite extensively at a family event last year and, aside from those which missed focus, the Voigtlander shots were more appealing in every case.

From what I have read about it, the Sigma would have much better performance wide open at 1.4 and by most accounts it seems like no slouch when it comes to bokeh and colour rendering. Undoubtedly the Sigma is the better lens by technical measures. While the Voigtlander is slightly better than the Zeiss 50 1.4, the Sigma is closer to the Otus. However, if sharpness is not a main consideration, the Voigtlander can probably give it some competition and is certainly a very good lens.

It's also worth considering that 58mm is significantly different enough from 50mm that 1.4 at 58mm gives you depth of field closer to a 50mm 1.2 than it does to a 50mm 1.4.

http://howmuchblur.com/#compare-1x-50mm-f1.2-and-1x-50mm-f1.4-and-1x-58mm-f1.4-on-a-0.9m-wide-subject

ProstheticEmpathy's gear list:ProstheticEmpathy's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow