ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bolhoed
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Help me choose the perfect camera for my use cases
6 months ago

Hi all,

I've been researching which camera to buy for quite a long time now, and it's kind of driving me nuts. I know that I'm overthinking this, but at the same time it's a lot of money and I want to make the best choice and use of my money. I have a few must have requirements, and I could really use your opinion. What camera would you choose if you were me?

1. It must be pocketable (not jeans pocket small, but cargo pants or jacket pocket small). I used to own a DSLR and hated it. Too heavy, cumbersome, noticeable. I ended up almost never using it, so I sold it.

2. My main interest is portrait / street portrait. Architecture / urban secondary, followed by landscape.

3. I don't like to constantly switch lenses. If I'm out and about in the countryside with someone, I want to be able to take pictures of the landscape but also of my travel companions. I don't want to switch lenses before being able to do so, nor do I like lugging them around. I don't care that much for zoom.

4. Image quality is very important, but especially with good low light performance. Most of my portraits are indoors or at night. I also like urban night photography. I hate to use flash.

5. Build quality is important to me. I love the solid feel of my old Olympus OM-1n. It still feels like I could use it as a hammer. A plasticky feel is a deal-breaker for me. I definitely like the "retro" look.

6. Manual controls, dedicated hardware dials and knobs. I am not looking for a point and shoot camera (but it must be able to perform on all-auto as well of course).

7. Convenience. Stuff like Wifi, touchscreen, GPS. It's 2014 after all. Definitely not must haves, but big bonus points.

My budget is about 1000 euros. Which camera (+ lens if necessary) would you buy? I've considered a bunch and have one in mind, but I'd rather hear your opinion then to present a list.

Thank you so much for your time!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow