Seeking advice: Nikon Coolpix A or Canon EOS M?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Shurato
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: Seeking advice: Nikon Coolpix A or Canon EOS M?
In reply to Nung, 1 month ago

Nung wrote:

(...)

BTW - coolpix A is pocketable - Nikon 1 - no way, not even with the 10mm f/2.8. This is the other reason I sold my 1 system equipment. It was smaller than my dslr, but not enough so that I took it with me that much more often.

Forget the 10mm f2.8. Try the 6.7-13mm f3.5-5.6 VR, 18.5mm f1.8 & 32mm f1.2. It really depends on what you consider as small and pocketable! No system camera can beat a P&S camera in size. But I can have 6.7-13mm f3.5-5.6, 18.5mm f1.8, 32mm f1.2 & 30-110mm f3.8-5.6 and the camera body, all fit into my small shoulder bag. That is 18-300mm equivalent with high quality lenses, 2 VR lenses and 2 fast primes. All 4 lenses are super sharp and can be shot wide open. The 32mm f1.2 in particular is great at low light, so night shot isn't a problem either.

Interesting enough, I do own a Nikon 1 cam, specifically the J1, with kit-lens 10-30mm. To me it's a wonderful cam to play around with and I use it more for some playful artistic photography, where I focus more on the "artistic atmosphere" of taking images than on details, sharpness and dynamic range. Yet at the same time I find myself carrying that one often on trips, since it is pretty compact, and the features such as high speed movie taking, 60pics per secs (albeit the J1 having a small buffer only), time lapse recording and 1/16,000s speed invites for some creative photography play. As for the latter feature, ever taken a pic of the exhaust from jet engine when sitting in an airplane just behind the wing? Visualizing the turbulence streams coming out from the jet engine is pretty impressive, whereas human eyes only see a blur.

But the kit-lens is not really the sharpest when zooming into details; I once had a Samsung EX-1 (or also known as TL500) and it produced surprisingly sharp images with its 1/1.7" sensor and Schneider Kreuznach f/1.8 lens.
Anyhow, if I really would go for pocketable with my N1 I could go pancake and get the f/2.8 10mm lens, however considering I'd have to pay around 270$ and being aware for only 170$ more I get a larger sensor cam, newer generation, with the same pocketability it's sort of a no-brainer to me.
To be frank, I don't know how the N1 f/2.8 10mm lens or even the f/1.8 18.5mm lens perform in terms of sharpness, the latter one being surprisingly cheaper in my country (around 200$) yet at the same time losing its pocketability.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow