Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian
Regular MemberPosts: 242Gear list
Like?
Converting RAW images to JPEG via LightRoom
4 months ago

I have been using LightRoom for about a year and a half when I purchased it with my Nikon D5100.  Every picture I have taken has been in RAW and I import the pictures from my camera to my computer via ViewNX 2, the supplied software from Nikon.  I then open LR and import them into there, at which point I make any desired changes and create JPEG's.

Yesterday I used the in-camera conversion for the first time and I was surprised I liked the result better than the one I modified.  It was pointed out to me that the way I have been doing it bypasses any camera settings, such as if I have the camera set to "Sports" or "Portrait", those settings are not applied and if I wanted them I had to set up LightRoom for it.

Could someone point me in the right direction?  What do I need to setup for say, "Sports" and where do I look for the information?

It was recommended to me that when I bring pictures into ViewNX 2, I convert them to Tiff and then import to LR and modify.  I have tried this and I really liked the results except one thing, I lose the ability to do lens correction for my lenses, which is available when brought in as RAW.

-- hide signature --

Brian Miller
Nikon D5100 w/18-105 and 35mm 1.8G lens and Canon S100
(Previous cameras: Nikon D3100 w/kit lens and 55-200), Nikon D40 w/kit lens and Canon S30)

Brian's gear list:Brian's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Kodak Pixpro S-1 Nikon Coolpix S30 Nikon D3100 Nikon D40 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow