Regular MemberPosts: 455
Like?
Canon PowerShot G15 - User's Perspective - pt.3
3 months ago

This is a continuation of:

Canon PowerShot G15 - User's Perspective - pt.2

======

knightmelodic wrote:

the burst at 10fps? don't you believe it. maybe with a tri and a cable on a good day. if you hear a D3 in drive it sounds like a drumroll. that's 10 fps.

=======

The G15 can do 10fps in Burst HQ mode - this is because of the different shutter mechanism and techniques - dSLRs like the Nikon D3 have a focal plane shutter and relatively speaking it is massive compared to the shutter on a compact - hence the limitation in fps - please don't get me wrong I think the Nikon D3 frame rate is amazing - but the G15 does manage to achieve 10fps.

G15 pdf Manual

G15 manual p116

G15 Manual Specs p306

Both dpReview and Imaging-Resource have tested this:

dpReview :

"If you need more speed you can switch to the High-speed Burst HQ mode. However, this being a scene mode you have no control over shutter speed, ISO or indeed any other shooting parameter, although you can apply exposure compensation. In this mode the camera will take exactly 10 frames in one second. You'll then have to wait for the buffer to clear, which takes approximately five seconds, before you can press the shutter button again to shoot the next burst."

Imaging-Resource:

"Burst Mode: Standard continuous mode captures large JPEGs at 2.14 fps, without AF. (With AF, the rate drops to 0.83 fps.) RAW mode managed 1.15 fps, while the RAW+JPEG rate was 0.95 fps. The G15's HQ Burst mode managed 10.2 fps for 10 shots, but does not support RAW files.

Buffer lengths are greater than 20 frames for all modes except RAW+JPEG, which slowed after 5 frames. Buffer clearing is surprisingly fast with our 95MB/s UHS-I SDHC card, ranging from 1 second after a burst of JPEGs in standard continuous mode, 4 seconds after a RAW+JPEG burst, to 4.5 seconds after an HQ JPEG burst."

I tested it myself - it is pretty quiet. Set Scene Mode to Burst HQ

pre-focus and then fully depress shutter and hold down - and it shot 10 frames very rapidly - I couldn't time it but it was fast and about 1 sec for 10 shots. I used a battery operated fan as a target:

Files:

G15 - Burst HQ mode - IMG_ files 10 consecutive shots.

First shot -

G15 - Burst HQ mode - first shot - EXIF attached

Last (10th) Shot -

G15 - Burst HQ mode - last (10th) shot - EXIF attached

PhotoME details -

1st shot -

PhotoME details - 1st shot

PhotoME details - 10th shot

I am convinced that the G15 can shoot 10 fps in Burst HQ mode.

Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow