SONY F43AM vs Old cheap Minolta Flash..Minolta wins?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
macsoft4
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
SONY F43AM vs Old cheap Minolta Flash..Minolta wins?
3 months ago

I was trolling thru a 2nd hand store today and I spotted an old minolta flash "MINOLTA PROGRAM 3200i". Since it has the same connector has my NEX 7, and it was cheap (18 euros), I gave it a try.

The flash is this one.

It has no manual controls in the back. Just a HI and LO power togle button, and an ON switch.

I put some batteries on it, clip it to my NEX 7, and it triggers. yey it works. And when I zoom the lens, the flash motor responds too, so we have some control of it. But does TTL works?

Well.. since its old, and its for an old minolta camera, I was expecting some problems, and of course the images were way overexposed. A quick dial down on the flash compensation on the camera, and I started to get some good shots!.. is TTL working? I'm not sure.. but if i change subjects and places to shoot, the exposure seams consistent.

At this time I compared 2 shots: one using my SONY HVL-F43AM flash, and the second using MINOLTA PROGRAM 3200i flash.

Both shots are bellow.

Except for a slight white balance difference, AND that fact that the camera used a lower iso on the minolta... Do you see much more differences?

Shot took using SONY HVL-F43AM flash. I'm in Aperture Priority, F13, I first set flash compensation to zero, flash mode: fill flash, and took a shot with the HVL-F43AM flash. Camera has chosen 1/60 speed and ISO 500

Then I installed the Minolta flash, and the only thing I changed was the flash compensation. Took me a couple of shots to try to mach the F43AM exposure, and i think I got pretty close at -2.7 flash compensation. The camera has chosen Camera has chosen 1/60 speed and ISO 160

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow