Bragging about our expensive mirrorless/DSLR vs a point and shoot

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
oklaphotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 772Gear list
Like?
Re: Here is the photo.
In reply to mistermejia, 3 months ago

Well judging from the OOC Jpeg shot, it's a good 2-3 stops under exposed in general, and opening the lens a bit would have helped the overall exposure as well as helped the fill flash. Those little pop-up's just don't have much power. If turning them into the sun a bit to help fill the subjects would have left you with a distracting or bad background, then more flash power is about all you can do if you don't have HSS allowing for a much wider aperture (or if you wanted the DOF and it still required the small aperture). HSS is a double edged sword though because it looses a lot of guide number, thus requiring an even bigger unit to get the job done. A reflector could have helped as well, but if you don't want to carry a flash, then you probably don't want to carry a reflector.

Although I am mainly a Canon shooter, I do use an X10 as well. One of the reasons why I bought the X10 was specifically because it will sync all the way to 1/4000th on the shoe due to it's electronic shutter. I sometimes use it outdoors with studio lights when I don't want to or cannot use an ND on my slr. Most P&S cams have wide apertures and the ability to sync flash very fast due to not having a mechanical shutter and this is partly the reason why the Sony pocket cam did what it did. You'd be surprised what you can do with something like an X10 and an old tiny manual shoe flash in a situation like this.

With that said, sometimes you have to use the whole photographic process to work around scene and/or gear limitations. In this case, not having HSS and/or enough flash power for the required composition requires solving it in the darkroom step. You're raw image with the shadows pulled is an easy quick fix in photoshop. Processing the raw is just part of that darkroom step. Compared to film, photoshop is your enlarger and hands, and where you need to dodge and burn a little. I can post a quick sloppy edit of that pulled raw image if you like.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow