Veteran MemberPosts: 3,401
Like?
Re: Feel the excitement: D810
In reply to ultimitsu, 6 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:

hypercore360 wrote:

http://www.dailycameranews.com/2014/06/nikon-d810-name-confirmed/

• 36MP sensor
  • No low pass (AA) filter (just like the D800E, this time Nikon will only introduce one model without the AA filter)
  • Improved software to suppress moiré
  • Expeed 4 imaging processor (they may call it Expeed 4a)

Nothing exciting here

Correct.  Absolutely nothing exiting. 40mp would've half-perked one of my ears up, but even that would only be a slight difference in print latitude.

• Higher resolution LCD screen
  • Built-in GPS
  • 5 fps (6fps with the MB-D12)
  • The new camera will be lighter (compared to the D800/D800E)

Nice but incremental.

Screens are fine enough for me where they stand today on most cameras.  I don't need awesome LCD resolution although I do like the slick look.  Built in GPS I would use, if 5 fps was increased to 8 fps... THEN I that would get my attention.  Lighter than the current 800 series?  A fraction of an ounce lighter? Big whoptie-doo!

• sRAW

This is what a lot of people have been asking for.

I would say that I'm surprised that it's taken Nikon this long but...

• 4k video is unlikely
  • No Built-in Wi-Fi

These are sort of essential these days.

"Essential"?  I suppose if waiting all day to push big data between your camera and computer via WIFI is essential.  4k vid nice for those who work or dabble in areas where they or their clients would notice a difference...  which isn't most people... thereby making 4k vid not really "essential"  

• Same AF improvements like in the D4s
  • Improved low light capabilities: one stop better ISO performance

I think these are unlikely. Especially the 1 stop better ISO part.

I don't think Nikon can usher up a full stop of worthwhile ISO performance; worthwhile meaning at an ISO setting that people are likely to reasonably use, because the nosebleed ISO levels are all but worthless in most areas of photography that involves you getting paid.

• 4 centre autofocus points

Would be interesting to see what that is like.

I agree, a tight grouping of 4 highly sensitive focus points could be interesting for moving subjects; at the same time I'm not sue that the benefit would be any better than a single excellent center point for studio type work.

Will be interesting to see what comes to fruition.

-- hide signature --

Teila K. Day
http://teiladay.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow