ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gil
gil
Forum ProPosts: 16,641Gear list
Like?
Initial Rise and Fall of A6000 AF for Birds In Flight Purposes
5 months ago

Got the A6000 last Thursday at the office and last Friday morning, took it out for first birding session (mostly BIF) at a nearby park before coming to work. All of the images below were from that 1st birding session.

The A6000 AF-related Rise per my initial experience:

1. AF is much better than my NEX F3 but still lesser than my A77.

2. Still using AF-A setting (same as my A77/A700 settings) and so far working fine with my style (freestyle with camera mostly down and only aim at whatever is coming from whatever direction).

3. Burst shots for panning is very good. I have taken more than 20 frames in one burst pan for big birds like the Black Crown Night Herons and more than 8 for smaller ones like the Grackle. Getting about 2/3 very usable shots for burst shots beyond 10 frames.

4. The grip was an improvement from NEX F3 that it helps a lot in tracking/panning BIFs.

5. Although the EVF has lesser resolution compared to the external thru-finder I use on my NEX F3, it is more than adequate. Just need to replace the eye cup with a broader and softer type for better stray light control and easier on my eyes.

The A6000 AF-related Fall (again per my initial experience only)

1. There is still that EVF lag/freezing during AF acquisition. Been mostly testing Wide AF and Zone AF. Most 1st shots were soft and misses until the AF locks on properly. Need to play some more on this. Pre-AF not really usable for my BIF needs as it takes a while to locate the subject and for smaller birds, already gone or not in the good angle/light anymore (but ok on still subjects).

2. Wide AF is too sensitive for my needs and now mostly setting up with zone AF and spot flexible (very accurate so far for small subjects with busy foregrounds/backgrounds.)

Still need to play some more with settings (currently using manual for shutter and aperture but varying Auto ISO and AWB with it).

Sample shots below- all JPGs and with some PP. Enjoy,

gil

Snowy Egret

Black Crowned Night Heron (BCNH)

Female Grackle

Male Grackle

Forster Tern

BCNH

Great White Egret

Juvenile BCNH

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
gil - San Jose, CA
Cheap Lens, JPG and 100% Handholding Provocateur
Like happiness, photography is often better created than pursued.

gil's gear list:gil's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony a77 II
Sony a6000 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow