This thread is locked.
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,651Gear list
Re: One ugly JPEG encoder
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 6 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

michaeli wrote:

http://digitalcamera.jp/html/HotNews/image/2014-06/17/sigma_dp2Q_beta/

The blue skies have nasty artifacts, particularly the night city-scape. The compression is very low (Q100 2:1 subsampling for SDIM0431) but compared to other cameras OOC, yuck.

Can you link to an example from another camera that you find better?  I think the "better" images are likely to have lower compression which smooths out the sky but then introduces banding and other loss of detail...

Now, I see the same thing in some of the SD1+50mm images recently linked -- but not those from Kendall. Were any of those images OOC? What I'm trying to ask is if the SPP JPEG encoder does the same thing. (Kendall has said he always exports TIFF from SPP so his JPEGs come from something else like Aperture)

When I output JPG, I always use Q12 - either from SPP or Aperture.  In the case of the 50mm images you are right that I went 16-bit TIFF -> Aperture -> JPG at the highest quality setting.  For most of them the adjustments were done in SPP, sometimes I do a bit of additional adjustment in Aperture.  But I try and lose as little as I can in the final output.

I'm pretty sure all of the other 50mm images were done from X3F though.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Wow!New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NiceNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow