Where Does Capture 1 Pro 7 Store Files in Windows?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
Where Does Capture 1 Pro 7 Store Files in Windows?
4 months ago

I've installed the software for an evaluation, and I am trying to figure out where it keeps files. Call me old fashioned, but I like to know where all files are and how they are maintained. For sure this software is not all I will use for image processing, and I have to be in control of the files.

First I let C17P "Import" all my images. I chose the option to leave the files in their original location. I believe there is an option to pile all the files into a single catalog, and I cannot fathom how that would make any sense. Anyway, original location is fine, and on my computer that is D: drive. I have about 20,000 image files for a total of 70 GB. I have just switched to shooting all RAW, so I expect the space number to grow fairly rapidly. D: drive is 2 TB, so that is not an immediate concern though.

So my questions:

1. Where are the adjustment files for each RAW file equivalent to the Adobe Camera RAW .xmp files? I see that it has created a Capture One Catalog folder on my D: drive under my Pictures folder. I see that it is 70 MB in size which seems big for just a database with essentially nothing in it right now. Are they in there? Is there one for each image, or are they lumped together in one file? What is the extension of these files, so I can find them?

2. My Windows 8.1 operating system and all program files are installed on a SSD C: drive. I don't watch usage real close as it seems to have styed at 97 GB available for a long time. However, I believe there was a step change on installing C17P that is way bigger than the size of the software alone. Capacity has gone down to 85 GB and I would guess 12 GB got used up all at once, and I have only processed a handful of images. Is C1P7 storing something there? I see from this Review by Joseph Eckert that he claims the software is storing "image previews" on the C: and it consumes considerable space. Is this it? Where are they and what extensions do they have? He also talks about "clearing them out" to keep disk space usage down. Can you do that without losing anything? Or what is the consequence?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to get a handle on what is going on, and any help you can provide is much appreciated.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow