Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,447Gear list
Like?
No worries - be happy! And buy a D810
In reply to joneil, 6 months ago

joneil wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

I just bought a D800 and honestly, I'm done being the early adopter of stuff like this. I never get a new computer OS until at least SP-2 has been released. Same with cameras, I wait till they have gotten the bugs out of production and the firmware before I am interested.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

I agree completely. Just look at the D600 / D610 situation as a very recent example.

I think the upgrades will be fine for somebody with a D7000/D7100 (or similar) looking to upgrade to an FX camera, but for my part, I have ZERO interest in upgrading my D800, which I just bought a few months ago myself.

The other thing I find, and your mileage may vary, I still use my D700 for different jobs. Yes, image quality is far better on the D800, and I am very happy to have it, but some days, some situations, some jobs, the old D700 "workhorse" just is still better camera to use.

There may be concerns about early adopting a lot of things, but sitting here in June 2014, after the D600 oil fiasco and the D800 AF fiasco, there should be zero concerns about buying a D810. No way Nikon is going to let that be a concern. ( Might be famous last words on my account, but don't think so )

But for me, if the rumored specs are correct, the 810 will be my next body. I will not buy it new. I didn't pre-order a D800 but saw one for sale on Kijiji from a fellow who had pre-ordered but didn't want to pick it up, as he changed his mind and wanted a D4. I paid $200 over list but ended up with a new, never opened D800 on / around April 1, 2012. But not this time.

This time, being in the Toronto area with 6 million people in the Greater Toronto Area and about 7.5 million total in a short driving distance, I'm going to bet on this -

Some novice is going to go into a Henrys store and buy a D810. They are going to talk him into the $700+ 5 year fully transferrable, free replacement after sent in twice for repairs for same issue, warranty.

Said novice is going to find out it's "too much camera" for him and list it on Kijiji or Craigslist for $2600 to $2800 with 500 or 600 shots on it.

And that's how I'm going to get my next body with 5 year warranty. And that's precisely how I got my 800e and subsequently sold my 800. Still has 4 years of full transferrable, no hassle warranty. Even if it's the first 810 produced.

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 and a bit more "stuff"

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow