Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Johan Borg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,005
Re: I uploaded the samples to my Onedrive cloud
In reply to Usee, 6 months ago

Usee wrote:

Johan Borg wrote:

The files also behave very well if you increase saturation, with less chroma noise and less desaturation in shadows compared with a DP2M. A significant improvement if these photos are representative

This may be, but they are already processed files,

The official samples had gone through Photoshop, we have no idea how severely they may have been pushed. I doubt these have seen any post-processing at all (EDIT: The web site claims out of camera JPEGs) and regardless of how much I push them, it's hard to provoke any questionable noise.

So, with opposite assumptions, my conclusion is the opposite of yours: Noise is rather well controlled in the Quattro.

The only thing I can conclude is that the metering of the DP2Q prototype was a bit on the bright side since it needed to be dialed back a third of a stop in order to select the 1/4s shutter speed.

As I already hinted in my post:

The longer exposure including the exposure correction (in conjunction with about the same midtone level) results in a ISO difference of factor two - ISO 200 setting within the DP2Q corresponds to the ISO 100 setting within the D800.

Again: The exposure correction doesn't say anything about the sensor, only the evaluative metering algorithm. The difference between 1/4 and 1/6 is interesting enough, but you cannot simply add another third of a stop because metering said so. It makes absolutely no sense.

You are right, though, the contrast curve is different and without a controlled environment it is fruitless to compare sensitivity, which is why I would rather trust Nikon and Sigma to have a similar understanding of ISO rather than jump to conclusions.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Wow!New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NiceNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow