Which is your currency?

Started 4 months ago | Polls thread
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,335Gear list
Like?
Re: With respect, is there a reason why you should occupy our thoughts?
In reply to Glen Barrington, 4 months ago

Glen Barrington wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

Living somewhere in the rest of the world I sometimes wonder how little space we seem to occupy in the mind of the average US citizen.

Like most of the people on the planet, we are most concerned with those issues that affect us directly. We know what's going on in the rest of the world, we are bombarded with 24 hour news both on Cable TV and the internet.

We have to place the info we receive into a hierarchy. A relatively stable (politically and economically) Europe is, by its nature, going to assume a lower place in that hierarchy than the Middle East, Central and South America, and the Pacific Rim.

I imagine that your people do the same thing, the hierarchy may be different, but that is expected I should think. It is natural for you to think your POV should predominate globally, but that is the sort of narrow thinking we all need to overcome, I suspect.

With respect, yes. My thinking is not so narrow that I expect everybody to share my POV, but it seems to me that is what many members from the US expect. I think it would be nice if those writing here were aware that they are writing to people all over the Globe. Perhaps because members from the US make up a large percentage, they sometimes tend to forget.

What you write here is trivial, and I agree that we have a hierarchy in which input is ordered. I also acknowledge, that what commands most interest in the USA will be what has the largest potential to affect the economy or the security of your nation. I don't really care where in that hierarchy you place Europe, because that is not the point of my post.

My point is, everybody who participates here should be aware of the fact, that there are different units of measure, currencies, languages and mind sets to their own.

This means that you should never write a number without the unit of measure. A studio of 6 by 10 could be quite large if in meter or quite small if in feet, and a sum of 1000 can buy you very different lenses whether it is USD or INR we are talking about. And while we're at it, dollars is the official currency of more than twenty countries of the world, each with their own rate of exchange.

The fact that a large part of the community here does not have English as their first language, should also be a little humbling to those who has. English interspersed with abbreviations, for instance, is much less understandable. Also, spelling and grammatical errors are a hindrance to understanding; I think a native speaker does not understand how much. When trying to decipher a text written in a foreign language, one always has to take into account that what you read could be either a new phrase you have never heard before, or perhaps just a simple error.

I have also seen very differing views on privacy, especially when it comes to street photography. I will not promote one view or the other, just make you aware, that your view, whatever it might be, may be quite intolerable to people in a different country with a different history and legislation.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow