The FZ1000 replaces the FZ8, FZ200, FZ70!!!!!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Hatstand
Contributing MemberPosts: 971Gear list
Like?
Reach is King, in the land of the superzoom
In reply to Mikedigi, 3 months ago

I generally agree that FZ1000 is not a replacement for the FZ200.

It seems to me, they started with the 1" 20MP sensor, and then designed/built the FZ1000 around it.

And what is the point of a 1" sensor? Isn't it purely, better image quality than smaller sensors? Better dynamic range and lower noise?

More image quality is great of course. But I contend that image quality is not the #1 priority for anyone who buys/uses a "proper" superzoom. Reach is #1 ! Did we not all deliberately sacrifice a huge chunk of IQ, to get more reach?!

So I am sceptical that the FZ1000 is aimed at the traditional supezoom market. It seems to me, it fills a gap in the market for DSLR-type owners who'd like a "smaller/lighter" lens with "long" reach, and "reasonable" IQ from a sensor that is not "pinhead" sized. As such, it doesn't replace the FZ200, or any other half-decent superzoom.

Not saying I won't buy one, heheh But it's not a straight-forward decision for me... I already have a Stylus 1 which wins on size... and FZ200 + TC which wins on reach. FZ1000 needs to win on a lot more than just IQ, or my wallet stays in my pocket...!

Hatstand's gear list:Hatstand's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow