New Dp2 Quattro (beta) samples~~~~ Locked

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Johan Borg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,941
Re: I uploaded the samples to my Onedrive cloud
In reply to Usee, 4 months ago

Usee wrote:

Those examples seem to be OOC JPG and in this regard they are in my opinion in the expected ball park (which means: very good for APS-C OOC JPG)...

...except of the ISO 200 leaf (SDIM0016.jpg)...

...it is already soft (probably due to noise reduction, if there is no focus error)...

On the contrary: Comparing the noise in that file with OOC JPEGs from my DP2M it appears that Sigma has either greatly improved its in-camera noise reduction or the sensor is good enough that they don't have to apply as much of it anymore (the noise is very fine-grained and natural with no signs of banding).

The files also behave very well if you increase saturation, with less chroma noise and less desaturation in shadows compared with a DP2M. A significant improvement if these photos are representative

...and we have to remember that this is ISO 100 (D800) equivalent:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53857097

I don't see any such equivalence given that the Sigma photo in the comparison clearly had brighter highlights as expected from the slightly longer exposure. The only thing I can conclude is that the metering of the DP2Q prototype was a bit on the bright side since it needed to be dialed back a third of a stop in order to select the 1/4s shutter speed.

The SDIM0016.jpg was also dialed back a full stop. Personally I probably would have shot this a stop brighter and pulled it back in SPP, gaining a full stop of noise, especially knowing that the Quattro has more highlight headroom than Merrill (native ISO 100 vs 200).

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Wow!New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NiceNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow