Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,680
Like?
Re: Sony's new curved sensor - this is a big deal
In reply to stevo23, 4 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

jcharding wrote:

Well, if implemented fully (by Sony and whomever Sony sells the sensor too) it could also mean that all legacy lenses become useless.

I don't think so. My understanding at this early stage is that the amount of correction is merely in line with the current curvature of today's lenses. Lenses aren't flat today and a slight curve would benefit them.

Ah, but the amount of curvature, i.e. the deviation from having a perfect flat field is certainly not consistent with today's lenses. Most camera lenses are computed to give as close as possible to a flat field at the film / sensor plane for obvious reasons, even if they don't always achieve it. A curved sensor in an interchangeable lens camera 'might' just just give better results by pure coincidence in matching the curve of the sensor with the curved field of one or two less than perfect lenses but it is highly unlikely to do so with most. And of course that is assuming that the field curvature will always be towards the lens when for some lenses it actually curves the other way.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow