The FZ1000 replaces the FZ8, FZ200, FZ70!!!!!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,722Gear list
Like?
Re: The FZ1000 replaces the FZ8, FZ200, FZ70!!!!!
In reply to Mikedigi, 4 months ago

Mikedigi wrote:

John Miles wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

Another question I have been asking myself, is the FZ1000 really a replacement for the FZ200?

"The FZ200 needs its own upgrade, which can happen now that plainly the protection of the 4/3" range has vanished."

That says it all. Panasonic threw their development and promotion into the G Series as if they thought that the 1/2.3" sensor superzooms were a dying breed. They then dumbed down several successive FZs - a good example of this is the pathetic burst mode of the FZ35/FZ38 - so bad that it looks like a deliberate spoiler.

The FZ200 was their U-turn - a decision that the FZ should, once again, be the leader of the pack, not an also-ran. Yes, previous FZs did a job, but the constant f2.8 lens, flash shoe, burst mode and free-flight LCD of the FZ200 - the whole package - showed real commitment to the small superzoom.

Both the FZ200 and the FZ70 will need replacements, but maybe not urgently. The FZ200 is magic for a lot of people, we like it just the way it is. And I have friends who would not think of shelling out the extra £/$ for the FZ200 but who have found great joy in the FZ70 - it is beyond anything they imagined themselves owning. Plus, of course, both cameras are popular with birders.

Personally, I am not about to dump my FZ200, 588 grammes, for any camera weighing 831 grammes like the FZ1000. I am much more likely to stay with the FZ200 and, say in a couple of years, buy a used FZ1000 as cheaply as possible, give it a whirl for a few months, then resell it on Ebay.

Sell it? Pull the other one Mike

I have been there several times with good DSLRs, they did not stay long, they were too big, too heavy, and a hassle.

Just pick it up, count to three, then try to put it down.

You may laugh at this, but the tiny FZ8 "needs its own upgrade".

Ta-Nah!:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmclz30

OK 552g.

It's too close to an FZ8 replacement me thinks.

I would really love an FZ8 upgrade, under 400 grammes, with a 1/2.3" or 1/2.5" sensor, a 25-400mm lens, a combined manual+power zoom, a free-flight LCD and modern JPEG processing, but with RAW too.

That would be a jewel, a classic, a Mini-Cooper S, a Vespa Sport, an iPad Air . . . . . and I would sell something else to pay the price for it.

[ My go-everywhere, shirt pocket mobile/cellphone is an Alcatel 1010, 2G, 59 grammes. I bought a 147-gramme Nokia Lumia 520 Windows 8 smartphone. It mainly sits in the desk drawer. ]

Meanwhile, the FZ1000 is "up there", and magic for Panasonic. It in no way replaces the FZ8, the FZ200 or the FZ70, and I find the suggestion that it replaces them really quite silly.

FZs - Flawed Heroes all, but Heroes nonetheless, never boring, and much loved.

Thank you, Panasonic.

Mike

-- hide signature --

FZ50 is still great though: http://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=panasonic_lumix_fz50 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow