In reply to tomtom50, 3 months ago

tomtom50 wrote:

Habs Fan27 wrote:

tomtom50 wrote:

Jonathan Brady wrote:

Canon EF-M 55-200 IS STM f/4.5-6.3 vs Sony 55-210 f/4.5-6.3

• Weight: 260 grams vs 345 grams
  • Length: 87mm vs 108mm
  • Focal range: 55-200 (88-320 FF equivalent) vs 55-210 (82.5-315 equivalent)
  • Aperture: f/4.5-6.3 vs f/4.5-6.3

So, the EF-M lens is 25% shorter and 20% lighter! NICE! The focal range is a tad longer (even worth mentioning the difference?) on both the wide and tele ends of the lens and the apertures are equal - the only difference may be where the actual max aperture stops are on the focal range - I would assume they're similar but possibly not.

Also, the EOS M is 298 grams and the EOS M2 is 274 grams. This lens should balance VERY well on the M family!

I don't know if it is because of the very good finish & metal mount & barrel, but the Sony is too expensive for its performance level. Let's hope Canon prices more reasonably.

The existing EF-S 55-250mm is all plastic but optically better than the Sony. That is a better value proposition for me.

I would not call the Sony expensive for its performance. Maybe not cheap? For the most part, you can pick one up in a kit for an extra 200 or so or used for 200-250.

The difficulty in comparing E-mount lenses to A-mount or EF or Nikon kit zooms is that the build quality is much different. Most kit lenses have rotating front element/focus rings when autofocusing, and they are usually not silent with no DMF override.

The Olympus 40-150 compared to the Sony 55-210.

1. Olympus is sharper, smaller, and lighter
  2. List $200 vs. $350, sale prices $120 vs. $300
  3. Neither have rotating front elements
  4. Both use internal focusing, the Olympus MSC motor is faster (I have both lenses)
  5. The Panasonic 45-150mm is also optically better than the Sony, has optical IS, and lists at $239.

I know Canon's newer DSLR kit-level lenses are internally focusing STM because that works better in Live View (and on the M, incidentally). No rotating front elements. The Canon 55-250mm STM is pretty expensive at $350, but it is optically excellent, much better than the Sony lens.

I'm not going to argue sharpness other than that the Sony is fine for a kit lens.  Comparing a 40-150 m43 lens is fine but the lens is still a 40-150 from a manufacturing point of view.  The Olympus lens is made of plastic while the sony body is made of metal.  The sony is more expensive to make and it's easy to see why.  Optical performance is one factor in price, but not the only one.

That said, the Sony lens is probably bigger than it needs to be and the Canon 55-200 shows that this type of lens can be made smaller for APS-C.  And hopefully it shows Canon is committed to the EOS M mount

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow