Seeking advice: Canon EOS M or Nikon Coolpix A?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shurato
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Seeking advice: Canon EOS M or Nikon Coolpix A?
6 months ago

Hi folks,

I came across a blow-out sale of the Canon EOS M, including kit-lens 18-55mm for a steal of 220$(!!)
At the same time, I saw the same store offering a clearance sale of some Nikon Coolpix A for around 440$. It got me quite inspired since from reading several user reviews and that one on DPreview this cam produces sharp results (apart from the mentioned vignetting) and excellent colour rendition in a compact body. Being a "high quality picture aficionado" myself this cam appeals to me also because of this no-frills look, and also being aware that it's a fixed lens cam at the same time, tempting me to explore this method of taking pictures.

Coming back to the Canon EOS M, the advantage to this one is being able to change lenses and the (even lower) price - very obviously.

This got me thinking since I was fancying acquiring an APS-C cam in a compact body anyways and both fit the bill perfectly in terms of budget and form factor. At the same time, both have got their quirks; the Coolpix A having some vignetting issues in the corner and the EOS M being kinda sluggish in terms of auto-focusing.

So I'm kinda little bit lost here or rather: Having a little bit too much information which I cannot really keep apart to make a clear-cut decision yet when wanting to produce some clean, sharp, excellent colour-accurate out-of-the-box pictures.
Thus my question, which of these two cams would you folks recommend when my first choices are:

• producing clean, sharp images
  • with excellent colour rendition also in low light (I love taking night shots)
  • and good noise handling at higher ISO settings (read: low noise )

As a side note, I was also wondering what fixed lens (f/2.8 or brighter) for the EOS M would produce identical imagery results as the Coolpix A in terms of sharpness?

Any expert advices are welcome.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow