Spray and pray, or shoot like it's film?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NostalgicDave
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Spray and pray, or shoot like it's film?
2 months ago

After coming back from vacation to Portland Oregon with my wife, she was sorting through the photos that she took. Normally she takes one or two shots of what she likes and often deletes one of them in-camera, on the spot. I told her she should keep all the shots and even take more, then sort when we get home. This way you can keep the best, sharpest shot and delete the rest. She wasn't too happy having to sort through hundreds of shots and said to me "I'm going back to doing it my way, this takes all the fun out of it!" Well, after sorting through my own photos and comparing shots in Lightroom, spending far too much time and effort... I'm beginning to think she may be on to something!

So I'm curious... How do you guys do it? Do you prefer to take lots of shots to make sure you'll have it "perfect" when you get back home, or do you treat it more like film where every shot counts (and costs!)... carefully composing each shot and thinking about your camera settings, zooming in to check focus etc? Any pros or cons you can share to either method?

NostalgicDave's gear list:NostalgicDave's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow