Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,692
Like?
Re: My review: Fuji X-T1 vs the Nikon Df
In reply to sgoldswo, 6 months ago

sgoldswo wrote:

stuartgolden wrote:

Full frame this, SLR that. For me what it comes down to is what would you want to lug around all day around your neck.

For me - the left wins!

Odd choice in lenses don't you think? Try putting the 10-23 on the front of the X-T1 or the 16-85 on the front of the Df. Or even better the 35 on the X-T1 and the 50 F1.8G on the Df.

For me the Df ended up being the replacement for my X-Pro1. It's all about the sensor (not just high ISO, but the way it renders colours).

It's a very odd choice and an odd choice of bodies as well. The 14-24mm Nikkor deserves to be used with either the 24mp D3x or the 36mp D800 full frame bodies, shooting high resolution landscapes, not a Df that's better suited for fast sports action photos either the near-kit lens 28-85mm Nikkor or with a faster, larger lens like the 24-70mm f/2.8 Nikkor.

And why would the inexpensive 16-50mm kit lens that's included with the X-A1 be used for the comparison when the X-T1's kit lens is Fuji's 18-55mm? Maybe just to make a more lopsided comparison, putting a thumb on the comparison scale so to speak? Most X-T1 owners would be using Fuji's larger 18-55mm lens, not the 16-50mm kit lens

Both of Fuji's small kit lenses are fine walkabout lenses, while the special purpose extra-wide 14-24mm FX (Nikon's largest, most expensive wide angle zoom lens) isn't. If a point is going to be made about size and weight comparing Fuji vs Nikon, a more appropriate comparison would have been to choose a Nikon DX DSLR which uses a similar size APS-C sensor, and then the comparison might have been the D7100 DSLR (or any of many much smaller DSLRs) with either a large but more flexible kit lens (18-140mm) or to do what the OP did, pick the smallest kit lens that's supplied with some other DSLR, in this case Nikon's 18-55mm kit lens, which happens to be about the same size as Fuji's 16-50mm lens. But that wouldn't tell the same story, "Ooh, the DSLR is so much larger and heavier than my Fuji".

Bah, humbug!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow