Sony's new curved sensor - this is a big deal

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,693
Like?
Re: Sony can't afford to launch another lens system...
In reply to brownie314, 3 months ago

brownie314 wrote:

Well, I am not sure how a curved sensor fits into a interchangeable lens system, or even a fixed lens zoom camera. What i am saying is that for cameras like the Fuji x100s, the Nikon Coolpix A, or the Sony RX1 - fixed lens cameras with wide(ish) angle prime lenses - this could be a boon. It could be very high IQ lenses in compact bodies.

For interchangeable lens systems - just a guess - but they would probably have to pick a curvature that is a compromise between wide, normal, and long focal lengths and design lenses around this curvature. But still, it seems in a system like this, if they picked the curvature nicely, there would be a range of lenses the would benefit - like wide to normal range - and these lenses could be made with fewer elements (i.e. smaller and lighter).

Its possible I spose although I'm guessing the benefit would be reduced.

I wouldn't say that ASPC fixed lens cameras really have a problem with lens size at the moment although I spose they could potentially be made faster/wider with a curved sensor. FF fixed focal length really seems to be whether this design could be most useful to me.

I'm not sure lens size is really that big an issue with the RX1 but cost certainly is so if it can help that then its obviously a good thing. The RX2 with a 35mm 1.8 lens and a pop up viewfinder for a similar price to the RX1 could certainly be more successful.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow