Bragging about our expensive mirrorless/DSLR vs a point and shoot

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
John Rausch
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Re: Automatic tone curve optimization
In reply to Tom Schum, 5 months ago

Tom Schum wrote:

I think this is one more example pointing to widespread use of an automatic tone curve optimization process, done in low cost cameras and cellphones, but NOT DONE in higher-end "professional" or "enthusiast" cameras such as the esteemed X-E1. Personally I wouldn't have it otherwise, but these low cost cameras are doing some very effective tricks.

My Sony RX1 Has DRO,  multi-frame noise reduction and a few other "tricks" that produce fairly incredible results. In many cases it is not a matter of getting the exposure just right,  it is doing things in camera that could take a person with a lot of skill and time in Photoshop to replicate, like taking six frames and merging them in situations like the beach shot by OP.  I don't usually use the various magic settings, but for some situations they really do the job.

It's not a "low cost" camera!

My main camera is an X-E2 and I have an X-M1 infrared,  so not a Sony fanboy,   in fact quite the opposite except for two cameras,  the RX1 and the RX100 - all three versions.

-- hide signature --

John Rausch

John Rausch's gear list:John Rausch's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow