Bragging about our expensive mirrorless/DSLR vs a point and shoot

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,625Gear list
Like?
Automatic tone curve optimization
In reply to mistermejia, 6 months ago

I think this is one more example pointing to widespread use of an automatic tone curve optimization process, done in low cost cameras and cellphones, but NOT DONE in higher-end "professional" or "enthusiast" cameras such as the esteemed X-E1. Personally I wouldn't have it otherwise, but these low cost cameras are doing some very effective tricks.

I have no proof of this, but it arouses my suspicions.

Anyway, one of the first things I try when processing an image is "smart fix". With this, Photoshop Elements tries to automatically optimize the tone curve. Frequently this makes a huge difference in the appearance of the photo. Sometimes, I can't do any better so I keep it (don't tell anyone on the forum, they will think I am a simpleton).

With my X-E1 images I find I am constantly battling dynamic range issues. Recently I have been developing my raws in Silkypix using minimum contrast. Here is one. The processing options make a big difference and there are so many of them!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow