Sony's new curved sensor - this is a big deal

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,703
Like?
Re: Sony can't afford to launch another lens system...
In reply to T3, 3 months ago

T3 wrote:

Ron Poelman wrote:

for some time yet.
Marketing wise, the paucity of quality, native glass for the E/FE series
has done them no favours; especially when no one at Sony
ever gave a firm commitment to A-mount for (say) another 10 years.
They need to restablise their fan base, before disenfranchising them again.
They know it too, there seems to be a "full-time" offer of a
free lens adapter for every @7 sold to cover the obvious gap.
Curved is all very well, but unless it brings something
radically better to the table (like SLT), it will just be more tech.
Give the current, affordable, hammer blow of the @77Mk2, @99,
(and the 36mp @99Mk2 ?) plus all that A-mount glass,
it will be a very big call.
Tme to grow your market, Sony, not try to buy it (again).

-- hide signature --

Ron.
Volunteer, what could possibly go wrong ?

I think the degree of curvature is specifically designed for the peripheral light loss of existing lenses. It doesn't mean that an entirely new lens system would be required. In fact, I'm sure that that's exactly what they are trying to avoid. There are certainly some business justifications for starting a new lens system (e.g. mirrorless systems that require much shorter lens register distances, or sensor formats of significantly different sizes), but I don't think a slight curvature of a sensor to compensate for light loss along the periphery of a sensor is one of them.

Plus, it could just be sensor to be used in a fixed lens camera, like future RX1 models.

I'm not sure that would work, current lenses are designed to have as flat a focal plane as possible and even the ones that don't all have different focal planes. You use them on a curved sensor and parts of the image are surley going to be out of focus?

I'm pretty sure this has been designed to save size on fixed lens cameras like the RX1, it might not even work on fixed zooms and shifting focal lengths might well shift the "easier" shape of the focal plane so again your needing to correct it with a larger design.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow