Bragging about our expensive mirrorless/DSLR vs a point and shoot

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,923Gear list
Like?
Re: Bragging about our expensive mirrorless/DSLR vs a point and shoot
In reply to viking79, 6 months ago

viking79 wrote:

Sony DRO. The Sony is doing a lot of image manipulation behind the scene. It is exposing for the highlights and boosting the shadows. This is why they always seem to have the exposure right, it sort of balances everything in the frame.

It balances it very well

With your XE1 you can probably turn on the extended dynamic range mode or shoot RAW and expose for the highlights, fixing the shadow area underexposure later and manually setting the white balance to cloudy or whatever is appropriate.

I tried different settings, all auto and all manual settings, ISO and dynamic range, pop up flash, and the cheap sony was way ahead for that situation. Yes, i exposed for the background and shot raw to adjust exposure later, but that's not the point. It would be nice if newer and more expensive cameras could do that simple little thing to get exposure right from the very begining, like the cheap cameras.  And please someone do not tell me to perform in-camera raw conversion because if i do that guess what will happen?  yes, the background will get screwed up.

I have a wireless SD card so i wanted to post those photos in FB, but it didn't happen because i have to go thru the trouble of processing that photo and "wait" til is fixed. A couple of days will pass by until that gets done. That's NO fun

If the XE1 is anything like the XPro 1, low light focus is not its strong point. The newer generation of cameras is better I believe. My XA1 feels better than my XP1 did in this regard.

Eric

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow