Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?
A rock hyrax, and the K-30 approaches its technical limits
1 month ago

Or, perhaps more accurately, I have used the K-30 to approach my own technical limits as a digital photographer, at least for today. And yes, I have far better zoo shots to show you, but I think this one deserves posting for the K-30's sake.

A favorite zoo animal, the rock hyrax, shot from far away across a moat in an indoor exhibit in extremely low light, with the 50-200mm WR zoom. 200mm. Hand held at 1/80. ISO 6400. TAv mode, autofocus. Uncropped OOC JPEG.

I'm not claiming this is a great shot, either technically or artistically. Yes, it's pretty darn noisy. But it is in focus and there is a ton of visible detail, down to the green tag in the little beastie's ear, and also his whiskers. It would be good enough to post to a blog, for instance.

If you had told me 20 or 25 years ago that such a shot was even possible, I would have laughed at you. If you had told me that I would be able to make this shot myself with an entry level camera and a kit lens that I could easily afford, and that I wouldn't pay a dime for film or processing for this or the other 400+ shots I made that day, I would have said you were crazy.

We live in a time of wonders, my friends.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow