Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeNannie
Regular MemberPosts: 395Gear list
Like?
A77ii + 16-50mm 2.8 or HVL-F43M
2 months ago

I've decided to upgrade my a580 to the new a77ii (in the next week or two). But, I'm having trouble deciding between getting the kit lens or a new flash.

I already have the Z16-80 and like it, but it's not weather sealed, and it's slower. I'm considering the 16-50 because of the 2.8 constant aperture, it's weather sealing, and fears that my Z16-80 isn't built well enough to last.

I've had no issues, other than zoom creep, with my 16-80, it's a good lens, but having read of others who have had issues, it's made me consider changing to the 16-50. Maybe I'm just paranoid now

And, with the a77 noise issues (not sure they have improved much with the M2 version), a 2.8 constant aperture would be helpful. But, I'd give up the 50-80mm range.

On the other hand, my Minolta 5600 HS won't work on the new camera without an adapter. Those are impossible to find now and I'm not sure I want to mess with the adapter anyhow. So, I'm thinking about getting a new flash - the F43M.  In addition, I'm hopeful that a new flash will give me more consistent flash images. My current setup is incredibly inconsistent and really frustrating.

I don't do a lot of flash photography, mostly family images, but when I do, it would sure be nice if it just worked correctly.

Aside from that, I'm pretty much a landscape shooter.

What would you do if you had to decide between the lens and a new flash?

Thoughts?

thanks

Mike

PS. I'm not interested in the a77 M1, thanks.

MikeNannie's gear list:MikeNannie's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Casio Exilim EX-Z16 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow