Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeNannie
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
A77ii + 16-50mm 2.8 or HVL-F43M
11 months ago

I've decided to upgrade my a580 to the new a77ii (in the next week or two). But, I'm having trouble deciding between getting the kit lens or a new flash.

I already have the Z16-80 and like it, but it's not weather sealed, and it's slower. I'm considering the 16-50 because of the 2.8 constant aperture, it's weather sealing, and fears that my Z16-80 isn't built well enough to last.

I've had no issues, other than zoom creep, with my 16-80, it's a good lens, but having read of others who have had issues, it's made me consider changing to the 16-50. Maybe I'm just paranoid now

And, with the a77 noise issues (not sure they have improved much with the M2 version), a 2.8 constant aperture would be helpful. But, I'd give up the 50-80mm range.

On the other hand, my Minolta 5600 HS won't work on the new camera without an adapter. Those are impossible to find now and I'm not sure I want to mess with the adapter anyhow. So, I'm thinking about getting a new flash - the F43M.  In addition, I'm hopeful that a new flash will give me more consistent flash images. My current setup is incredibly inconsistent and really frustrating.

I don't do a lot of flash photography, mostly family images, but when I do, it would sure be nice if it just worked correctly.

Aside from that, I'm pretty much a landscape shooter.

What would you do if you had to decide between the lens and a new flash?

Thoughts?

thanks

Mike

PS. I'm not interested in the a77 M1, thanks.

MikeNannie's gear list:MikeNannie's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Casio Exilim EX-Z16 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow