Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vwsjr
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Tamron 150-600 - My Review Thread
5 months ago

Finally!  I'm starting this thread for my review, as I plan to use this lens extensively, and I can at least compare it to my trusty old Sigma 150-500.

First impression...quality construction.  Lens immediately felt SMALLER and way more compact than my Sigma.  It actually feels, and I stress 'feels' at this point, way higher quality than my Sigma.  You can feel the heft of the glass in that more compact package.  In actuality, I believe the Tamron is bigger in some dimensions, but looking at the lenses, I think the difference is the rear half of the Sigma is larger in diameter.  In any event the Tamron feels significantly heavier, yet significantly more compact, regardless of what the specifications truly are.

Just did some quick shots out the window and immediately was happy with my purchase.  Biggest complaint with the Sigma was the unbelievably loud stabilization.  Tamron's is much more like Nikon's, very quiet, and I'm very impressed.  I did notice that it jumps in a weird way compared to the Nikon and Sigma...not worse than either, just different.  If I stay on a subject you kind of see the focal point make short jumps from side to side or up and down, quick, short and sharp jumps, not moving back and forth or grinding like the Sigma.  No complaint's just a noticeable difference and at least in the viewfinder it seems infinitely better than the Sigma's OS, and on par with Nikon's.

Anyway, sorry for the lack of information here, but this is just a start.  I'm going to head out in the yard now and take some quick shots before dark.  I knew I was getting the lens today so I have off tomorrow to do some real field testing!

vwsjr's gear list:vwsjr's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow