Senior MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony's new curved sensor - this is a big deal
In reply to MoreorLess, 3 months ago

MoreorLess wrote:

brownie314 wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

brownie314 wrote:

If Sony can get it right (make it manufacturer at a "reasonable" price) this could be a game changer bigger than all of this mirrorless stuff (actually, many of will argue that mirrorless wasn't really a game changer - but that is another topic).

This has the potential to make it possible to put really small, simple lens designs on bodies and have IQ on par with the most expensive glass available.

I'd guess the big issue maybe that sensors and lenses need to be matched together to make such a system work, indeed I could potentially even see zooms causing issues. That Sony didn't look to use this sensor with there own FF mirrorless system does tend to suggest there maybe problems.

I spose if sensors really started to come down in price it also made lens design cheaper then it might make sense to create a system like the Ricoh GXR with linked sensor/lens units.

Yes, I agree that it would have little benefit for longer lenses - and may cause significant problems.

But I was thinking more along the lines of a compact non-interchangeable lens camera - like the RX1. With a curved sensor and wide angle lens - this could be a small body but spectacular performer. We will see. The rumor going around right now is that the RX2 will have curved sensor and a 35mm f/1.8 lens. Seems interesting.

Realistically though the RX1 was already a very good performer here, certainly much better than the FE 35mm 2.8.

Its not mentioned much but if you look at the RX1 len internals you can see a massive rear element...

I'm guessing that having that big chuck of glass near to the sensor allows for correcting light angles much more than can be achieved with interchangeable lenses.

A slightly faster, slightly smaller lens would be a benefit to the RX2 although I think improved AF and a built in viewfinder would be bigger improvements.

Actually, large rear element close to sensor potentially causes more problems with vignetting and color shifts than a small one would.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow