Is the N1 the action/wildlife kit for me?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
anthhope
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the N1 the action/wildlife kit for me?
In reply to Texchappy, 5 months ago

Texchappy wrote:

I've been trying to balance system(s) to fit my photography needs for a bit now. I'm a wounded warrior with now limited arm strength. I've found myself lately wanting to get more wildlife shots (prairie dogs/burrowing owls/etc). I'm also finding that my youngest boy is getting interested in sports (both inside and outside).

I started out with film D-SLRs and then had a D40 for quite a while. I started to look for a lighter camera rig as my arms began to tire quickly using my D40 (even with the cheap kit lenses I had). My journey has gone from a short stint with an OM-D E-M5 that was returned (defective) to a Fuji X Pro 1 that I love but can't keep up with long/fast shots to getting another DSLR (Canon T4i) and resigning myself to the weight.

The someone suggested the Nikon 1 system to take a look. It seems to hit a lot of the boxes. I know that high iso performance could be a problem and I have to consider that. I'm not as concerned about DOF so much.

As I try to weight the Nikon 1's, it seems to boiled down to AF speed and image quality. So just how good are these?

Bonus question: the S1 is the least expensive 'buy-in' to the system; will it give me a good taste of what the system can do before investing more heavily into a V2/V3 and lenses?

Hi,

I'd recommend you buying a second hand V1 with a 30-110mm lens, as a cheap way to try the 1 system out. If you don't like it, you can sell it and get your money back :).

I you to use a Canon 1 series, but now use the a V2. It's AF and FPS is superb for wildlife, especially BIF.

Good luck

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Anthony
www.anthhope.com

anthhope's gear list:anthhope's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow