Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
maven19
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: I am not disappointed, I was surprised
In reply to phazelag, 4 months ago

phazelag wrote:

maven19 wrote:

I've been following some of the recent posts, and there is a lot of threads comparing the FZ200 to the FZ1000, and trying to figure how to get more reach or 'equate it'

I think most people are forgetting something important. The FZ1000 is not the replacement model for the FZ200, but rather for the FZ50.

The FZ200 successor is not here yet, just like there was a gap between the FZ50 and FZ1000, there will be long gap for the FZ200. It's futile to compare and then end up arguing a camera that isn't supposed to be doing isn't doing it.

The successor to the FZ200 will either have greater reach (900mm) at aperture f 2.8, and probably a bigger sensor (2/3'), though I feel it won't be the 1' inch, otherwise it would just cut into the sales of the FZ1000.

Just my opinion, I'll check back on this post a year from now

Cheers

Maven19,

that would be wonderful for a lot of people if that was the case. What makes you think this? I can't find any evidence on the internet that another Panasonic Superzoom is looming. I think many of are looking at the FZ1000 as possibly being able to replace our FZ200s for most shots even to 600 with cropping. For those who use and rely on Teleconverters on the FZ200 they may have to stay with what they have. I am interested in both options.

My dream FZ would have the LF1 sensor, have the GH4 EVF and processor like the FZ1000 has, and reach 900 even at f4 would be cool. Weather sealing and the Olympus type Red Dot site would be a bonus!. I would pay $699 for that!

I spoke to Panasonic rep at a trade show last month.  He actually worked in Japan, but was in North America for the show, and then heading to Mexico, ye.. you could take his word with a grain of salt, but I didn't feel like he was lying.  He said the FZ200 wont be this year,..asked when then.. he just replied some time later, but not this year, and he struggled to say that as I think he knew more about the topic but had to be tight lipped.  He did say they are working on something to replace FZ200.  He also mentioned, engineering wise, the FZ200 was the most difficult project his R&D colleagues had, and that the time it takes from concept, to prototype to product, is around 2 years. So, I'm basing my conclusion on that, I do feel there will be a successor FZ200 in the future, but FZ1000 is not the replacement. 
Its also totally possible that the FZ1000 is not meant to replace the FZ50 at all, and is the beginning of a new line. The FZxx, the FZxxx, and the new FZxxxx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow