Bragging about our expensive mirrorless/DSLR vs a point and shoot

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,270Gear list
Like?
Re: Bragging about our expensive mirrorless/DSLR vs a point and shoot
In reply to mistermejia, 2 months ago

You are talking about two different cameras meant for two different types of photographers.

You also should know that before digital was film and before Auto Focus film cameras things were done manually from focusing to exposure.

Having known that you would have known about a few concepts. First is the Sunny 16 rule, will not explain it, just look it up. Next, you would known what 18% grey is and this is how the camera meters the exposure. Short version, if the scene is overexposed the camera compensates to make it 18% grey or neutral that is why you go +1 or +1 on exposure comp and even use fill flash. Same idea with a Snow scene.

I will also say that if you are on the beach, use fill flash pretty much every time, bracket exposure too, but I guarantee you, you need to set exposure compensation to +1 to +2 and bracketing the exposure will help. Take some with an without flash, but fill comes in handy.

Depending you'll need a ND filter (maybe) and i have to say I love the built in ND filter my X100s has, lifesaver.

Anyway, that $125 will always take a better picture for one reason is that this is geared to Uncle,Aunt and Grandpa where anyone can get a properly exposed shot because not everyone wants to develop or actually learn photography.

Fuji X is a unique system, it is a photographers camera system because it is like shooting a manual film camera. If you don't have intermediate skills and knowledge you'll have more of a curve and not get it.

If I was in a Sunny beach situation exposure compensation goes to +1 (minimum), fill flash too.

Maybe some brushing up on beach photography specifically will help you learn how to do it better.

Advanced skills include using reflectors to bounce, diffuse and cut light.

**Don't be afraid to move your subject for the better shot if you have to and you can do it!

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow