Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RMillward
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
Qs: X100S RAW Files
6 months ago

In theory, RAW files are the unprocessed output of the sensor, prior to any enhancements or compensation being applied during JPEG creation. So, on the X100S, the analog controls - Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO sensitivity, Focus - are all reflected in the RAW file, because they affect the view before it gets to the sensor, and the digital controls - White Balance, Noise Reduction, Highlight & Shadow, Color Correction - are not, because they are applied after the image is acquired.

So now, my questions:

1. In real life... Is this true for the X100S? I have been reading, for instance, that exposure can/is/was-for-past-models altered down a half-stop on some Fuji cameras... Did this type of correction make it into the X100S as well? If so, do you know the specifics?
  2. Can someone confirm that Exposure Compensation is an after-capture setting, i.e., the RAW file does not reflect that setting?
  3. Are there any other idiosyncrasies of RAW files from the X100S of which I should be aware...?

Thanks in advance for any help in this area.

(FWIW: Yes, I know that the digital settings of the camera will inform the creation of the JPEG files that's included in the RAW "package"; but let's assume for this thread I'm not concerned with that - that for this purpose, those JPEG files will never be seen or used.)

RMillward's gear list:RMillward's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow