Quattro marketing screwed up already?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
JohnLindroth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,330
Like?
comparing foveon to cfa is the problem
In reply to Scottelly, 6 months ago

I started reading threads in this forum 6 years ago, and it's always in the technical comparison of a foveon sensor to a bayer cfa sensor that causes issues, and what are now long and extended, and rather unhelpful discussions.

If you count pixels as light measuring elements, then a bayer sensor equals the base output resolution. They use interpolation to fill in RGB elements to create a 3 level output image, so most people think that one RGB is a pixel. If you measure the same in a foveon sensor, then in most it is 3x the base output count, or in the Quattro 1.5 times, which is equivalent if you count pixels as light measuring elements, not output RGB elements. Most people base their concept of digital resolution back to the cfa, so having more pixels collected that output is foreign, and therefore people say Sigma is cheating or misrepresenting their cameras.

I read about the concept of the Foveon sensor prior to the first camera release, and decided from a totally geek-oriented personality, that when I purchased a DSLR, it would have to use a 3 level sensor, because it was such a novel idea, and I appreciated due to my film photography start. And I did in 2008, a little late to the party.

But there is no need to claim that Sigma is messing up in trying to find a way to describe something that most people never even think about in the digital cameras.

And if I understand the words of Sigma's CEO, Mr. Kazuto Yamaki, correctly, continuing with the line of cameras is an honor to family in continuing his father's dream. I have no worries about them stopping because people don't understand.

-John

-- hide signature --

http://gallery.johnlindroth.com/
john@johnlindroth.com
My future starts when I wake up every morning ...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
--Miles Davis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow