Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,157Gear list
Like?
Why the fixation on WiFi for a DSLR?
2 months ago

In a post on the Nikon SLR lens forum I saw comment asking for modern features that you find in a "Smart" phone or simpler P&S camera.

I don't see WiFi or data connectivity with a DSLR as an advantage. Nowdays I  get 1 MB photos from my family via their "Smart" phones. The images are grainy and soft at best. My daughter says it's all about Social Media, not image quality.

To have a DSLR connect by cellphone-style data connectivity costs a lot. Imagine having a 2nd "Smart" phone line for your camera. I get basic cell phone for $40 per month. With data transfer and the ability to send photos, that connectivity costs around another $40. Any DSLR that had that feature would be paying $80 per month to a wireless phone service.

If I have a high quality 24 MB or 36 MB image file, I'm not going to try to send it by phone/data or upload it by WiFi. It's just too large a file for these systems to handle quickly or without risk of dropping the signal.

If I'm in a place that has WiFi, at home or out and about, I'm not going to use it to transfer files from my DSLR to my laptop at the coffee house or my desktop computer at home. I'm going to pull out the media card and put it in a card reader and use a direct, wired USB 2.0 or 3.0 connection. If I want to transfer files to my iPad I'm going to use my SD card and transfer directly with a card reader device. If my iPad is connected through a phone service, I'm still not going to send photos until I've edited them and downsized them to a manageable size. That's all done better on a laptp or desktop that can handle  post processing software like Lightroom or Photoshop.

If you want fast connectivity to your Facebook page or want to send photos to friends via your phone, use that little "camera" that's housed in your 1/4" thick cell phone or iPad, that thing with a 4 mm lens and auto everything - focus, ISO and exposure - and send to your heart's content. Look at the EXIF data or properties of any cell phone photo you recieve by email. Notice the focal length, ISO, f-stop and shutter speed. At these focal lengths that aperture is tiny for small f-stops. It's not what you'd use for a high quality image.

If you're after artful images and fine portraits, then use your DSLR, download the images to your computer, edit and process as needed. You can still send those images via your phone or Facebook page once you've downsized the photo.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow