curved sensor for RX2 is ready!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Dale Cotton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914
Like?
Re: ILC and curved sensors
In reply to Mike Fewster, 6 months ago

Mike: you're quite right. I was confusing microlenses and anti-aliasing filters as I wrote that. Doh. Too much technical stuff makes my head spin. <g> So thanks for the correction.

I would still argue that Sony is not going to angle the corner microlenses -- at least in the first model -- simply because I'd think they'd want to dramatize the benefit of sensor curvature as much as possible. But, yes: angled microlenses is certainly technically possible. That's what Leica did to solve a similar problem that had previously blocked them from doing a full frame M.

Beyond that, if it's possible to make the focus plane curvature correction in the adaptor optics, I think they'd prefer that approach, since it would leave the curvature benefits uncompromised when used with lenses designed for to do the job.

Mike Fewster wrote:

Dale Cotton wrote:

The SonyAlphaRumors site reminds us that the curved-sensor matching lens patent is for a 35 f/1.8. But, as we saw with the RX100M3, what Sony patents and what they use are two different things. While 35mm is the most popular focal length for fixed prime cameras, we've seen a few examples of 28mm being used recently. As wbill points out, the 35mm lens in the RX1 is already so well corrected that it wouldn't be that much of demonstration of the advantages of the new technology. OTOH, 28mm and wider are traditionally notorious for distortion levels.

If the first showcase for this technology is going to be an RX model, then size constraints alone would argue against a normal zoom, like 24-70 or even a portrait prime. Clearly, 35mm is the standard compromise focal length, but 28 or wider shows off the technology more.

OK: here's a question for those who know more about optics. Back before the A7, Sony said they couldn't do an ILC RX because the 35mm lens was designed to protrude into the body cavity. Does the curved sensor thing change that constraint? If not, they might be planning a Contax G sort of concept. One RX body with a small set of primes, like 24, 35 or 50, and 90. Possibly with only one lens available at launch.

Mike: I'd have to argue against microlenses, at least in the first model. That's going to take a hit on both light gathering and sharpness. My guess is they want to show off any improvements in both these areas to the maximum possible amount.

Dale, I think all digital cameras have to use microlenses. They aren't just for bending light at the edges. I believe that they still will need to use them irrespective of the shape of the sensor, although the bend they apply may be different. Here's an article that discusses what microlenses do.

http://gizmodo.com/5470334/giz-explains-why-iso-is-the-new-megapixel

I think (might be wrong) that mlenses of a different design plus correction software would allow a camera with a curved sensor to use current ILC lenses with improved performance but for the ultimate performance would require specifically designed lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow