Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,021Gear list
Like?
Post from FZ200 fans show disappointment in the FZ1000
1 month ago

I own and love my FZ200 and I love the reach.  But I find that with animals and bugs, you can never have enough reach.  From the number of posts about adding a teleconverter to the FZ1000 this may not be the ideal camera for them.  The post from hardcore FZ200 guys seem to show a lot of disappointment.

I already dread screwing my teleconverter on my FZ200 as it limits the wide end and taking it off and on is OK but then I have to carry a bag to put it in when its off.  Overall for me, I think the teleconverter is great for specific shots, but I was already looking at other longer super zoom options.  I am even willing to sacrifice aperture at the long end to not have to carry a teleconverter.   The Olympus SP100EE with the built in red dot site seemed interesting to me, but I am not confident in the quality.

I think the FZ1000 is going to find a market that will not be the previous FZ200 fan base unless you have other interest besides Birds and Bugs.  I still would like to see an FZ250 with the LF1,LX7 sensor and I would give up the wide end for more reach if that would help much.  28-900 f2.8 to f4 even.

I know many say that lens can't be built, but those same types said the FZ1000 couldn't be done also.   Between the RX10, the FZ1000, and the Stylus 1 I think we are starting to see what is possible.

I think the FZ1000 will be useful to me for many purposes and should be a great all around work horse that may allow some animal shots, if they get close enough.  It will be more like Bow hunting than using a rifle.  But some shot will still require the rifle.   I doubt the FZ1000 will be the pride and joy of bird photographers like the FZ200 is.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow