Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Flashollie
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
5dmk3 or wait for 7dmk2
5 months ago

I have had a 7D with a sigma 70-200 2.8, 17-85 4, 10-22 3.5 and the 50mm 1.8 for 4 years now and I like to think I have learned and improved with it quite bit.
I shoot white water kayaking in the UK in winter in dark river gorges which getting good exposure and freezing the paddler and water can be challenging so better iso range would be great. I also shoot family other sports, wildlife and landscapes more recently. What are the real life iso values people are using with the 5dmk3. Because for me beyond 800 or 1600 with 7d its not good. I should add I only like basic PP work as I spend enough time at work on a pc and an hobby need to take me away from a desk.:-O

Use of flash can help if I am out walking to do this but most often I am paddling as well, often shooting from 20+ meters away and have to get camera in my kayak in a dry bag. The less kit the better I often take just one lens for this reason.
Mostly working with wet cold hands so fixing flash or setting up to work remotely is not easy and takes time. Typical you paddle as small team get to a rapid / waterfall. Jump out paddlers run the rapid I snap away and we move on. So limited set up is good.

Noting the rumors about the new 7d on the way, I am seriously consider getting that if the price specs etc check out. The 7dmk ii must coast at least £1300?

But then I noticed the 5dmk3 is now available for £1765 body only.
Thinking the price of my 7d is likely to plummet as the market gets saturated, I was seriously considering making the move to FF. Picking up a cheap 2nd hand 24-105mm old kit lens and sell the 10-22 and 17-85.

So summing up.

I guess what i am asking is: will canon make the 7d2 "better" than the 5dmk3 in its range. Thinking about my shooting which I would describe a general, which is better for me in the longer term. My gut feeling is the 5dmk3 is going to be a better all rounder and thats what I need.

What would your opinions be?

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow