Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
axlastro
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?
Very good for what it is.
5 months ago

I've finally decided to write a short review of the EOS M. I've had it for more than 6 months now.

I got it reasonably cheap with the 22/2 lens and initially didn't like it a lot. The focus was slow and the images looked uninspiring. That was until I got the hang of it and now I'm very happy with it.

I've purchased a second lens for it - the 11-22 STM and an adapter for canon EF lens. It seems that I like it, as I'm still spending money on it.

The good:

1. It's extremely well built. It feels like a jewel in your hand. This makes up for all its quirks. Period.

2. The touchscreen is awesome.

3. The 22/2 and 11/22 lens are almost perfect. They look and feel really nice and the images they produce are great. The 22/2 was the main reason I got the M. Slap an 55-250 STM and you don't need anything else.

4. It is compact and you could carry it with you everyday. It's with me most of the time.

5. AF is accurate. It's slow (see the bad). It does however make you think more and compose your images carefully.

6. It's unobtrusive.

7. Canon colors.

8. Great video machine. I've shot my son's 40 days baby shower with it - video and stills on a tripod with a flashgun pointed at the ceiling. The images turned out as though we had hired a professional and the video was great too.

And the bad.

1. AF is slow, even with the new firmware. The 22/2 seems the slowest of all. I also have the 11-22 STM and it's much faster. The 55-250 STM also works reasonably well with the adapter.

2. AF is useless in low light - if you want to take street candid shots with this camera, it's not up to it.

3. No zoom shortcut - you need to do it via touchscreen controls, which is not very nice. I know you can install magic lantern, but they should have made it a default function.

4. The same old sensor with lots of noise - it's something canon users have been whining about for a long time. The colors that canon's sensors produce are unsurpassed (except for fuji maybe) but everything at 800 ISO and higher is noisy as hell. That is not good.

5. The grip could have been a little better. I know it's supposed to be small and compact, but they could have made it a little better. It's bearable though and better than no grip at all (olympus EPM1)

6. No tilting screen - yes the screen is amazingly sharp and yes it's more compact and robust this way, but a tilting screen would have been really great.

7. Lens selection is scarce.

8. We don't know if there will be an M3.

axlastro's gear list:axlastro's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM +2 more
axlastro's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
mediocre
Action / sports
poor
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
acceptable
Flash photography (social)
acceptable
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Canon EOS M
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow