First camera: DSLR or mirrorless

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
skyglider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,067Gear list
Like?
Re: First camera: DSLR or mirrorless
In reply to kufuxul, 4 months ago

kufuxul wrote:

As someone who doesn't own any DSLR and is not bound to Canon/Nikon lens system, should my first camera be DSLR or mirrorless?

Since this will be your first SLR form factor camera, I recommend mirrorless.

The picture quality issue has been discussed so you should have a good idea regarding that. The conclusion might be that the picture quality of mirrorless cameras will be quite satisfactory if you get one with the size of sensor and lens to suit your low light desires.

But I recommend getting a mirrorless camera if you want to see what you will get "BEFORE" you snap the picture. One big advantage of mirrorless in this regard is that a live histogram can be displayed in the electronic viewfinder. Get a camera that allows assigning exposure compensation to a wheel or knob. The histogram is your camera's light meter. View the scene in the electronic viewfinder, turn the exposure compensation wheel or knob to adjust for optimum exposure based on the histogram display, and snap the picture. Done.

In comparison, using an optical viewfinder, the histogram can only be displayed on the LCD screen "AFTER" taking the picture. So you would have to snap the picture, look at the picture and/or histogram on the LCD screen, make an educated decision on exposure compensation adjustment, snap another picture, look at the LCD screen, and repeat until the correct exposure is obtained. This is called "chimping".

As a beginner, the mirrorless method with an electronic viewfinder will be MUCH easier and faster for you to adjust for optimum exposure.  And if the subject(s) are people, they won't have to wait for you to chimp and take multiple shots.

$.02,
Sky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow