Flat view
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,243Gear list
Like?
SMC Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Review
2 months ago

I posted my review of the 20-40mm:

http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=4739

I really like the lens on what would be similar to K-5IIs (A7R in crop mode, just my test camera).

Basically it gives pretty comparable or even slightly better performance to any of the other DA Limited lenses over the same range (or better than most of the old f/2.8 20 to 35mm lenses).  The quality of the one I rented from Lens Rentals seemed good, didn't notice any centering defect.  It was almost impossible to get any sort of flare out of it, and what flare I did get I can't be sure if it was my adapter or not.

Nice lens, but expensive.  If you just want one lens, but like the limited build quality, probably worth buying.  Already have the other DA limited lenses in that focal range, and don't mind changing lenses?  Probably not worth it.  If Pentax comes out with a full frame?  You could effectively get to 16 or 17 mm APS-C equivalent focal length with the lens usably.

Do I compare it to a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8?  No.  Obviously if you need the larger aperture get the Sigma.  If you want metal exterior, flare resistance (a weak point of the Sigma), weather sealing (say for backpacking) the 20-40mm wins out.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow