Lets see your 58mm samples, was it worth it?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?
Re: Lets see your 58mm samples, was it worth it?
In reply to The Name is Bond, 6 months ago

The Name is Bond wrote:

I now understand why this lens is special. I'm not going to discount my ability to capture the moment here, but I also believe this tool was instrumental in capturing it. I myself questioned the price of this "simple" lens and almost didn't but it, but while I may not understand why it costs what it does, I understand the value of it as part of my kit. I've been shooting with the 50mm f1.8G for a couple of years and never got anything close to this with it.

Sorry to be picky, but underexposed by a couple of stops might have saved the highlights. The D800 has great SNR when downsampled so you may have had the DR for it and still enough resolution to make a biggish print.

For me, part of what makes a great feeling pic is getting the highlights with soft transitions even if there is a white-out core.

I thought the same thing when shooting (blinkie warnings!), I've got a later shot in the sequence with less exposure that mostly saved the highlights, I couldn't get it adjusted where it had the same impact this shot has. When I expanded the DR to "save everything", the midtone contrast ended up being muddy. I also have a shot where is legs aren't "blocked up, it doesn't look as good either.

I personally am OK with blown highlights, there was a light about 6 inches over that paper and stuff on the right (That picture on the right is taped to the hood of the light) so it should be blown

But thanks for your comments.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow