Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vorda
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
D800 virtual horizon/auto rotate/auto brightness not working
6 months ago

Two weeks ago I was using my now 1.5y-old D800 and all of the sudden the LCD screen became very dark. I was outside shooting in the bright light and I realized that auto brightness is not working anymore. So I adjusted it manually. When I came home I noticed that all pictures taken in portrait orientation are not properly oriented by Adobe Bridge. So, I've re-read the manual but everything was "properly"set. Than I noticed that when I use virtual horizon the camera doesn't register any movement. It's like gyros (or what ever) are not working anymore.

Luckily everything else that actually is important for photography (still) works (e.g. autofocus, metering...).

And I almost never use virtual horizon and I can easily rotate images in PS manually, I can also manually adjust brightness of the screen but... I feel really bad that the camera broke just like that. And it does cause some annoyance while photographing and in the post.

And of course, I have bought the camera in USA to save a few buck while I live in Europe and Nikon's service only accepts european's guarantee... I still don't know how much would it cost to repair it.

So, the point of this post is:

1) to complain about it, at least here on the forum, maybe I'll feel better

2) to ask has anyone else had similar problems? Is there some easy fix? Maybe I missed something in the manual?

Thx for all the help.

Vorda's gear list:Vorda's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow